If you are interested in writing then you really should follow Joanne Harris (@joannechocolat) on Twitter. She gives lots of helpful tips on writing and her ten tweets that she routinely shares are gems.
Her recent list of tips is all about writing a synopsis. Take a look ...
1.I don't know a single author who actually *enjoys* the process of writing a synopsis. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
2. But, for debut novelists, your first synopsis is probably the single most important thing you'll ever submit. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
3. If your synopsis isn't right, people are less likely to read your manuscript. So, take time to get it right. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
4. Your synopsis should be no longer than a page of A4. 800 words is plenty. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
5. It should give the basics of your story without necessarily including all the details. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
6. It should indicate what audience or age group the book is for without sounding like an advert. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
7. It should say where your main story is set, and indicate clearly who the protagonist is. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
8. What it shouldn't do is speculate about how popular it will be, or how your friends loved it. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
9. In the same way, this isn't the place to explain in detail the circumstances of how you came to write it. ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
10. Most of all, what it should do is entice the reader and make them want to try the book... ?#TenTweetsAboutYourSynopsis
Joanne Harris is the author of Chocolat. You can buy the book here.
By Sophia WhitfieldOn August 5, 2012
Judith McPherson is the 10-year-old heroine of this intriguing debut novel. Her mother died during her birth and her father remains grief stricken, isolating Judith from his life. The one...On April 23, 2012
After a highly successful career in corporate communications, Avril Tremayne decided she needed a little more romance in her life.On February 11, 2015
With spring already well on the way, October promises an abundance of new releases to complement the beautiful weather to come. From both upcoming new authors to award-winning names, here...On September 30, 2014
Food and the home are central to our existence. We celebrate all that is good about the home with a selection of stunning books.On April 12, 2016
Jenny Bond has worked as a teacher, journalist, copywriter and researcher. Her non-fiction titles have been published in Australia and the USA. It was writing one about the stories behind...On August 6, 2014